The Sisters of Mercy came to Tralee from Killarney in 1854. They first settled in Day Place. On May 17th, 1855, the foundation stone for Balloonagh Convent was blessed by Bishop Moriarty and laid by John Mulchinock. He was the generous benefactor who funded the building of the Mercy Convent. It was completed in 1858 and opened on the June 24th – the feast of St. John the Baptist.
John Mulchinock died in 1863 and was buried in the Chantry of the Convent Chapel. When Edward died his remains were interred in the same grave as his revered uncle.
On March 19th, 1890, St. John’s School opened. It was a two-storey building largely funded by John Mulchinock’s nephew Edward. In 1927 the school was improved when a corridor, a cloakroom and two extra rooms were added. In 1958 the old school was reconstructed and a new block was added which included a Cookery Room and an Assembly Hall.
In 1985 Semi-Permanent buildings were constructed complete with playgrounds to house classes Junior Infants – II.
In September 2000 classes for students with A.S.D. began in Scoil Eoin.
In 2013 a new infant block was built consisting of 6 classrooms and 1 SET room.
In 2021 a major extension was opened which houses School offices, 3 x 5th, 3 x 6th classes, 2 SET rooms, Staff room and an Archive room.
Each year St. John’s Day, June 24th and Mercy Day, September 24th are celebrated with Mass for staff, students, parents and retired staff.